Sleep Related Disorders – Insomnia
Insomnia is defined as the difficulty to fall or stay asleep for long enough at night to feel refreshed the next morning. Age, lifestyle, environment and diet all play a key role in influencing the amount of sleep you need, and insomnia can occur at any age. It can lead to more serious problems such as depression, irritability and even depression.
What are the symptoms of Insomnia?
The most common symptoms of insomnia are:
- Difficulty falling asleep
- Waking up during the night
- Waking up early in the morning
- Feeling irritable and tired and finding it difficult to function during the day
Your age, lifestyle, environment and diet all play a part in influencing the amount of sleep you need. Insomnia can occur at any age and can be short or long term. Insomnia can lead to memory problems, depression and irritability.
What is the cause of Insomia?
There is usually no single cause of insomnia, but there are a number of factors that can contribute to you getting it, these are the main causes:
- Psychological problems such as stress, anxiety, depression, grief or alcoholism.
- Physical health problems such as pain, asthma or heart disease.
- Medicines such as slimming medicines, antidepressants or medicines to treat high blood pressure.
- Jet lag, a temporary condition that can cause disturbed sleep patterns, digestion problems and a lack of energy.
- Environmental factors such as noise, an uncomfortable bed or being too hot or cold.
- Lifestyle habits, for example not having a regular sleep routine, eating late at night, drinking excessive amounts of alcohol or using stimulants such as nicotine.
How can we treat insomnia?
Studies have shown that acupuncture can benefit sufferers of insomnia in a number of ways, by:
- Increasing cerebral blood flow
- Reducing activity in the sympathetic nervous system and increasing relaxation
- Regulating levels of neurotransmitters such as serotonin and dopamine to alter the brain’s mood chemistry, increase relaxation and reduce tension. (1)
1 British Accupuncture Council, accessed February 2017, www.acupuncture.org.uk/a-to-z-of-conditions/a-to-z-of-conditions/1283-insomnia.html
Leeds Park Sq
Lower Ground Floor
29 Park Square West
Leeds LS1 2PQ
Manchester, Queen Street
Freedom Care Clinics
Same Day Doctor
28 Queen St