Acupuncture is an ancient treatment which originated in China over 500 years ago. Modern western medical acupuncture is used after medical diagnosis and involves very fine needles being inserted into the skin in order to stimulate sensory nerves and muscles of the body. It is becoming an increasingly common practice in healthcare in the UK and a growing number of studies are proving its effectiveness.
How does it work?
During your acupuncture session, your therapist will insert fine needles into the skin in specific anatomic points in the body. These points are called acupoints. It works by:
- providing pain relief by way of releasing endorphins and changing the processing of pain in the spinal cord and brain
- reducing inflammation
- relieving muscle stiffness and improving joint mobility
- reducing the need for pain medication
Many patients feel the benefit of combining acupuncture with massage and rehabilitative exercises
Conditions treatable with Acupuncture
Acupuncture can be used to treat a wide range of conditions, including:
- Stress, anxiety, insomnia, disturbed sleep
- Depression, mood swings
- Weight loss, detox, appetite suppression
- Skin problems (Acne, Eczema, skin rush)
- Digestion problems (Irritable bowel, colitis, constipation, diarrhea, gastritis, heartburn, food allergies, ulcers)
- Upper respiratory disorders (Asthma, allergies, bronchitis, sinusitis, sore throat, laryngitis, colds and flu)
- Urinary and reproductive disorders (Cystitis, menstrual cramps, irregular or heavy periods, infertility, menopausal symptoms)
- Women’s Health
- Cardiovascular conditions
- All sorts of pains and aches
- Headaches & Migraines
- ME, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Low Energy
- Allergies, asthma & hayfever
A more modern use of the treatment, cosmetic acupuncture uses hair-fine needles inserted into specific points on the face and body to rejuvenate appearance. It is commonly used on lines around the mouth, frown lines between the brows and on the forehead, and laughter lines around the eyes. The needles are left in for 30 minutes and there are no lasting side effects.
A study published in the International Journal of Clinical Acupuncture showed that in 300 test cases, 90% or participants showed results after one course of cosmetic acupuncture treatment.
Cosmetic acupuncture may help:
- Eliminate fine lines
- Reduce larger wrinkles
- Lift sagging jowls and eyelids
- Reduce puffiness in the face and around the eyes
- Reduce dark circles under the eyes
- Increase collagen production
- Hydrate the skin
- Reduce double chins
- Tighten pores
- Improve muscle tone
- Reduce the evidence of stress in the face
- Promote a more radiant, youthful appearance
- Improve overall health and wellbeing
For best results we recommend a course of 8-12 treatments. After this, maintenance is achieved by monthly treatments.
Please get in touch to find out more and for prices. Or for more general information on acupuncture, head to the British Acupuncture Council website.
For more information, call your local clinic on the number below.
Leeds : 0113 345 5060
Manchester : 0161 503 5656
Leeds Park Sq
Lower Ground Floor
29 Park Square West
Leeds LS1 2PQ
Manchester, Queen Street
Freedom Care Clinics
Same Day Doctor
28 Queen St